Whenever the new year rolls around, we hear about goals, resolutions, and the home projects people plan to tackle in the next 365 days. We also can’t help but get ambitious when thinking about how much our homes could improve in just one year. The possibilities are endless!
With that in mind, we like to create and manage projects for ourselves, because who doesn’t enjoy the feeling of successfully crossing something off your to-do list? So what’s at the top of our DIY to-do list for 2022? We’re reupholstering multiple items at home to give each room a quick refresh.
Making updates at home doesn’t have to be an entire overhaul of what you have. We like to browse through the textile catalog and choose a material we’d like to bring into our space in 2022. Then we decide which upholstered piece at home could use a refresh.
Suppose you’re not looking to change any of your existing upholstered furniture pieces in the new year. No problem. We’ve thought of new ways to incorporate your favorite textile finds into your home.
Creative Upholstery Updates for 2022
We have a few DIY project ideas for anyone looking to elevate their home decor with custom upholstery in areas you might not have thought of. We like to think outside the box and use textiles in creative ways. Here are a handful of unique upholstery project ideas to use in 2022:
- Create a bulletin board in your office, mudroom, or kitchen wrapped with your favorite textile.
- If you’re sick of seeing the identical shower curtains at every store, now is the perfect time to make your own!
- Have you ever seen a beautifully patterned lampshade? It was popular long ago to paint lampshades (and some still do), but of course, we’re big fans of fabric on lampshades. If you can have a one-of-a-kind lampshade, why not? Select a textile you love to recover your lampshade!
- Kids love creative and interactive lounge seating. If you’re a parent looking to get creative, you can make a floor pillow bed, bean bag, or Papasan chair cushion.
- Speaking of family members, do you have any pets at home? Your furry friend won’t judge you and your first attempt at upholstery. Upholstering a pet bed is a great way to build up those upholstery skills.
- Are you looking for a custom tufted look in a bedroom or living area? You can take advantage of wall molding or furniture panels and create a tufted element to highlight the existing design details. Not only does this make a lot of visual interest, but it works great for sound absorption in a room with high ceilings, hardwood floors, or little upholstered furniture.
- Speaking of upholstery on furniture, we’re big fans of adding textiles to the back of cabinetry and the bottom of drawers. It is common to see wallpaper used in these scenarios, but we find that the tactile element of the fabric enhances the overall look.
Existing Upholstery Refresh
The DIY community has an incredible vision when it comes to refurbishing upholstered furniture, and we love seeing what they create! There are an unlimited number of items to reupholster for your next DIY project.
A lot of conversation around reupholstery speaks to the DIY-er, but we know that’s not for everyone.
The good news is gorgeous reupholstered furniture is for everybody! After reading this article, we encourage you to find a reputable upholsterer near you to help you out on your next project.
They will be an incredible resource to lean on during your project, from fabric specification to upholstery maintenance.
Have no fear if you haven’t made an upholstery update in your home before! We encourage you to begin with a smaller or more manageable upholstery project. After you’ve had some practice updating upholstery, you’ll have the confidence to take on larger projects. Anyone looking to get started on a quick upholstery update in 2022 should consider the following projects:
- Pillow reupholstery – You can update throw pillows for your sofa or bed to make a significant impact.
- Cushion reupholstery – Dining chairs and window seat cushions can get a lot of wear and tear. Refresh these cushions, and you’ll have a beautiful place to sit and enjoy your next meal or book.
- Window treatment reupholstery – If you’re someone who hangs curtains in your home, updating the fabric can make a big difference visually in your space. Hanging curtains give the effect of wallpaper but are much easier to switch out! This is an excellent option for anyone who is a renter and doesn’t want to mess up their walls.
Upholstered Furniture DIY
It doesn’t matter if this is your first upholstery project or if you’ve been upholstering furniture your whole life. Either way, we’re impressed with your tenacity and encourage you to attempt to reupholster one of the following to put those skills to the test:
- Chair reupholstery – No, we’re not referring to the seat of a chair but the fully upholstered kind. We all have that one comfortable chair we just cannot part with. Give it an update with your favorite trendy fabric for 2022.
- Bed reupholstery – Not all beds are upholstered, but if yours is, or if you want it to be, go ahead and give it a shot. Nothing beats a comfortable headboard to sit up and read a book, scroll through your phone or watch tv. If you’re feeling unsure, you can always start with the headboard portion and tackle the rest of the frame later.
- Sofa/sectional reupholstery – The fact that you would even read this section tells us that you’re a confident DIY-er! Furniture with a frame and cushions can be one of the most extensive projects to tackle, but we know you can make it happen. Take your time with any project of this magnitude to help avoid any errors. We frequently see people forget to upholster their furniture pieces in the same direction. Nothing’s worse than finishing a project only to find that the textile is going in multiple directions.
Question & Answer
Question: How do I find someone to reupholster furniture for me? I want to update some of the upholstered items in my home but prefer someone else do it.
Answer: No problem, we have already created a guide for How to Find a High-Quality Upholstery Shop. Here you can find some great tools to use when shopping for an upholsterer in your area.
Question: I’ve never reupholstered anything before. Do you have tips on how to get started on upholstering your own furniture?
Answer: Absolutely! We put together a blog post to help you learn How Kovi Fabrics Can Help You With Your Custom Upholstery Project.
Question: What if I want to reupholster something not listed in this article?
Answer: We say go for it! We’re continually impressed by how creative this community is and can’t wait to see what you create. We recommend you reference the article in the question above when starting your project.
Upholstery Updates in 2022
If one of your new year’s resolutions was to kickstart your first or thirtieth upholstery project, we hope you found this article helpful.
We can’t help but get excited when we hear about new projects happening around us; we just have to get started on one soon!
We’re heading over to Kovi’s resource library to pick our next upholstered furniture fabric. Should we go for an elaborate pattern or plain textile in our next project? We can’t wait to see what you create!