Fun fact: Chenille is French for caterpillar. No, you haven’t accidentally logged into Duolingo. But that fun fact seemed like a great place to begin today’s adventure.
We discuss various upholstery fabric types and how to use them to make your interior design dreams come true. And sometimes, in our enthusiasm, we blow past names and terminology that may not be clear to you. Sorry about that. (As the largest online upholstery store, we can get a little carried away.)
We thought, periodically, we’d drill down on a term or type of fabric. To help you understand what it is and what there is to love about it. Plus, how to put it to work for you.
Today we’ll spotlight Chenille. If you’re searching for the perfect fabric to upholster your furniture in comfort and durability, look no further. This cozy wonder transforms living spaces into warm and inviting havens. Let’s take a closer look.
First, A Quick Guide To What You’ll Love About Chenille Fabric
What exactly is chenille? Good question. In short, it’s a soft, plush fabric with a unique texture. Chenille is made from short lengths of yarn woven together, giving it a velvety, fuzzy appearance — hence, the name with its origins in the French for “caterpillar” (the cute ones, not the creepy ones).
The result is a texture that not only looks warm and welcoming but also delivers on that promise tactilely, making it a great choice for upholstery.
But wait, there’s more. Let’s break it down into bite-size bits. Here’s what’s to love about chenille fabric for your furniture upholstery:
1. Unbeatable Comfort: Chenille is like a warm hug for your furniture. Its softness and texture make it a pleasure to touch and sit on. Whether you’re sinking into a chenille sofa after a long day or curling up with a good book in a chenille-covered armchair, it will be comfortable. Like, ahhhhh, kind of comfortable.
2. Durability: Obviously, your furniture needs to be more than just attractive and comfy. It needs to be durable. Thanks to its tight weave and pile length, Chenille just happens to be known for its toughness. So you can have the look you love and actually live your life, too.
3. Easy to Clean: And, let’s be honest, if you’re doing that “living your life” part right, it’ll get messy sometimes. Today’s chenille upholstery fabrics are easier to clean than ever — particularly the Crypton ones. Most spills and stains can be easily wiped away. Plus, it’s resistant to pilling, so, unlike that favorite sweater (we all have one), your furniture will stay looking fresh for longer.
4. Versatile Style: Yes, chenille comes in a wide range of colors and patterns, making it easy to find a style that fits your unique vibe, whether that’s a traditional look, modern and minimal, bold and bohemian, or anywhere in between. Here’s another fun fact: We offer over 1,500 types of chenille fabric designs, colors, and patterns. So, yeah, we’ve got you covered.
5. Time to Shine: Also, it’s shiny. Well, not really. But because of how it’s constructed and the direction that the pile lays, it often has a certain kind of shimmer or shine to it. All of which adds to its ability to instantly elevate the elegance of any setting you use.
Better Yet, A Quick Guide To Where You’ll Love Chenille in Your Home
Here endeth our lovesong to what makes chenille fabrics so great. Now it’s on to helping you envision how you might bring them into your home’s upholstery. Let’s break that down, too:
Sit On It — Sofas And Chairs
Imagine sinking into the plush cushions of a chenille sofa with a bowl of popcorn while watching your favorite movie (yes, please). The family room is the heart of your home, and a chenille-upholstered sofa or sectional can be the centerpiece of comfort and style in earthy charcoal grey.
Cozy up in a reading nook with armchairs dressed in calming olive green chenille. That stack of books you’ve been longing to get lost in will soon have its day.
And speaking of chairs, add comfort and elegance to the holiday gatherings ahead and for years to come. Upholster dining room chairs with patina blue botanical patterned chenille jacquard. Sitting a spell to hear your uncle tell that same old story (yet again) just got much more pleasurable.
Sleep On It — Bedrooms And Bits
Your bedroom is your sleeping sanctuary for getting into — or over — your day. Make it all the more luxe with chenille duvet covers, shams, and bedspreads in creamy ivory Crypton turning your bed into a heavenly retreat.
Do the same for your headboard upholstered in a spa blue-green. And let’s not forget the smaller furniture pieces here or elsewhere in the house, like a storage bench or coffee table upholstered in a soft ochre tone contemporary pattern. Or an ottoman or pouf (fun to say and upholster) dressed in a large-scale pattern in black or forest green. And all great for quick seating or a footrest and adding to your style vibe.
See Through It — Windows
One thing about chenille fabric we haven’t mentioned. Much like its often-compared cousin, velvet, it’s a weighty fabric — again, thanks to the tight weave and construction. And all of that leaves windows wanting some chenille love. Curtains and drapes made from chenille fabric can bring luxury to your space and offer more energy efficiency.
So consider a rich, brandy burgundy solid chenille or a contemporary geometric pattern in silver to elevate your elegance. And, perhaps, help those weekend mornings stay just a little darker for just a little bit longer this winter while you’re at it.
Throw It Around — Throw Pillows and More
We’ll throw in a few more ideas for you. Maybe you’re not ready to commit to full chenille furniture. Instead, start small by throwing in — literally — pops of chenille’s texture and gravitas with throw pillows.
Mix, match, and play with different styles to create the feel you’re after. Like a lilac chevron pattern, pure white chenille duck fabric, or a vintage floral in browns and coral red. And, as the colder months settle in, drape chenille throws blankets over your sofa, armchairs, or at the foot of your bed for instant warmth and style.
Now’s the Time To Cozy up To Chenille Upholstery Fabrics in Your Home
Cozy, luxurious, durable, and stylish. If those are all qualities you’d love to have in your furniture upholstery, well, chenille fabric says a hearty “Oui!” to all of the above. We hope our journey today helped you get a clearer idea of exactly what this versatile fabric is all about.
And we hope you’re starting to envision ways to bring the power of chenille into your home’s upholstery design. Whenever you’re ready to find the right fabrics for your bedroom, family room, or any space you’d like to upgrade the elegance and comfort of, we’re here to help make it fast and easy.