If you live with cats, you may be concerned about them scratching your furniture. Cats naturally have to scratch and “trim” their claws; while you can buy scratching posts from pet supply stores, there are times when your cat would still rather sink their claws on other things like your upholstered furniture.
Are you interested in replacing your old fabric with cat scratch-resistant upholstery fabric? Here’s your guide to cat-resistant furniture reupholstering and how Kovi Fabrics can help.
Which upholstery fabric is most durable for cat owners? At KOVI, we’ve done the research for you and searched for fabrics that are the least desirable for your cats to scratch. Here are the best fabrics to reupholster furniture, along with the qualities which make cat-proof upholstery fabric a great choice:
- Microfiber – This kind of upholstery fabric is soft and smooth. Because of these qualities, cats do not enjoy scratching them. Many pet owners swear by microfiber as a cat-proof couch material and that their cats do not pay attention to these couches for scratching purposes. Since this fabric is durable, you can also invest in a microfiber couch or a microfiber upholstery fabric cover. As a bonus, since it is not tightly woven, your pet’s hair won’t stick stubbornly to it either!
- Faux suede – Faux suede is also similar to microfiber in that it is smooth and does not attract cat scratching. This fabric also has a nice luxurious feel to it. When you buy this cat-proof upholstery fabric, your furniture will look posh and new for a long time. The smooth surface of faux suede is also easy to clean where pet hair is concerned. If you need to clean the cat hair, the best way to clean upholstery–specifically faux suede–is by vacuuming the upholstery with a soft brush attachment.
If you have current furniture that you absolutely love but isn’t cat-proof, you can look at creating a slipcover to protect it. For ideas, measuring help, or even a custom-designed slipcover, KOVI Fabrics can help you with our one-step upholstery shop and virtual designer services.
Fabrics to Avoid When You Have Cats
Upon close inspection, you may be thinking that some fabrics are smooth enough for your cat not to notice them. While the top suggestions are limited, knowing what to definitely avoid when shopping for upholstery fabric can help you decide as well. Here are those which are definitely going to catch your cat’s attention:
- Leather furniture
- Chenille fabric
- Woven tapestry materials
If you notice, all these fabrics have a coarse texture, which is what cats go after. Avoid these kinds of fabrics to prevent your furry friend from scratching.
Alternatives to Keep Your Cat Away from Your Upholstery
If you have a particularly naughty cat who refuses to stay away from your furniture, there are other alternative ways to keep your upholstery fabric safe. Try these methods:
- Spray some lemon juice onto the surface of the areas which your cat reaches for. If you prefer, you can spray a thin layer all over the sofa.
- Purchase some deterrents cats don’t like and spray them on your furniture. You can get this at pet supply stores.
- Scold your cat or simply spray him with some water whenever he scratches on furniture. This will make him remember that doing so will earn him a reprimand from you.
With these tips, you can have beautiful upholstery without those nasty cat scratches. Be sure to shop at Kovi Fabric for new fabric, and we can also connect you to local furniture upholstery services.
8 thoughts on “Cat Scratch Resistant Upholstery Fabric”
Microfiber is so smooth that actually their claws slip in and out without snagging or tearing. I foster kittens, and believe me they scratch everything, but the MF never shows a mark.
I’ve only had chenille sofas and they never show claw marks. Pho leather chairs have been destroyed by the cats over the years. I’m looking for a fabric that will hold up like chenille. I want something different.