If you are living with pet cats, one of the concerns you might have in keeping your home looking good is their scratching behavior. Cats naturally have to scratch and ‘trim’ their claws in the process, and while you can buy scratching posts from pet supply stores, there are times when your cat would still rather sink their claws on other things like your upholstered furniture.
At KOVI we’ve done the research for you and searched for fabrics which are the least desirable for your cats to scratch. Here are the top results along with the qualities which makes cat proof upholstery fabric a great choice:
- Microfiber – This kind of upholstery fabric is soft and smooth. Because of these qualities, cats do not enjoy scratching it. A lot of pet owners swear by microfiber couches and how their cats do not pay attention to these couches for scratching purposes. You’ll also benefit from investing in a microfiber couch or some microfiber upholstery fabric for covering up your existing couches since this kind of fabric is durable. As a bonus, since it is not tightly woven, your pet’s hair won’t stick stubbornly to it as well!
- Faux suede – Faux suede is also similar to microfiber in the sense that it is smooth and does not attract the attention of your cats when they need to scratch. This fabric also has a nice luxurious feel to it. When you buy this cat proof upholstery fabric, your pieces of furniture will look posh and new for a long time to come. The smooth surface of faux suede is also easy to clean where pet hair is concerned.
If you have current furniture that you absolutely love but isn’t cat proof, you can look at creating a slipcover to protect it. For ideas, measuring help or even a custom designed slipcover, KOVI Fabrics can help you with our one-step upholstery shop and virtual designer services.
Fabrics to Avoid When You Have Cats
Upon close inspection you may be thinking that some fabrics are smooth enough for your cat to not notice them. While the top suggestions are limited, knowing what to definitely avoid when shopping for upholstery fabric can help you decide as well. Here are those which are definitely going to catch your cat’s attention:
If you notice, all of these fabrics have a coarse texture, and this is what cats go after. We should look to avoiding these kinds of fabrics if we’re hoping to reduce your furry friend from scratching.
Alternatives to Keep Your Cat Away from Your Upholstery
If you have a particularly naughty cat who would refuse to stay away from your furniture and if your cat still treats them as scratching posts, there are other alternative ways to keep your upholstery safe. Try these methods:
- Spray some lemon juice onto the surface of the areas which your cat reaches for. If you prefer, you can spray a thin layer all over the sofa.
- Purchase some deterrent which cats don’t like and spray it on your furniture. You can get this at pet supply stores.
- Scold your cat or simply spray him with some water whenever he scratches on furniture. This will make him remember that doing so will earn him a reprimand from you.
With these tips, you can have beautiful upholstery without those nasty cat scratches.